Friday, August 1, 2008

Secrets Revealed

So, the day has finally arrived and the secret I've been keeping for months has been revealed. On my side of the family, my oldest sister and brother have each had babies in the last couple of months. Emily Christine Claycamp was born to my brother Garrett and his wife Kristi on May 10th, and Chase William Reasbeck was born on June 18th to my sister Gretchen and her husband Ryan. Since mom passed away I knew what I had wanted to give them for their baby gifts so in April I began. Whenever a grandchild was born, as often as she could, my mom would make a quilt for the new little one sent from heaven. The quilts were all the same size and type, tie quilts with prairie points around the perimeter. Other pressing matters happened in our lives and my project was put on hold.
3 weeks ago we learned that if everything kept going well with Livi, we would beable to go on our annual family camping trip which was the first week of August...I had 3 weeks to make 2 quilts which only mom knew how to make!!! AAAHHHH! With much determination and great zeal (and the help of a great cutting/ironing assistant) I was able to complete the quilts with time to spare.
I was able to give the quilts to the new mommies today and the reaction was great! I was so proud of myself for being able to take on such a challenge and complete it with great success. I had once tried to help my mom sew a hem on a baby blanket for her and botched it terribly! I know she was smiling down on me.








I was able to make these tags for the quilts;

"Made with Grandma's love and Rachel's hands".

7 comments:

williams family said...

I'm glad they loved them! I'm sure they were as impressed as I was! :-) You did a great job on them, you should be proud!

Staigerfamily said...

What a wonderful, wonderful idea! So very thoughtful and I bet Christine is so proud of you!

Julie said...

Rachel,
I am totally impressed!! What a great idea. They look wonderful. Your Mom would be proud of you!
Glad that you guys are adjusting to your new "normal." Livi looks good.
Give everyone our love.
Dan and Julie

caracathryn said...

Rachel, you have a heart of gold. What a sweet, sweet gift to give and a beautiful way to honor your mother. I hope the camping trip was a blast!

Grandma Susie said...

Rachel,

Very proud of you! I love the tags. Very special!

Lovell Family said...

Awesome! That's a lot of work!

Lovell Family said...

Just checking in to see how things are going. I'm still hoping we can come visit mid September...we'll be in St. George for a bit.

Hope all is going well...we continue to think about you guys and pray for Livi.