Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Happy Anniversary "Olivia the Brave"


Today marks one year from when Livi was diagnosed with ALL, more commonly known as leukemia, and even more well known as cancer. (That's still a word I have problems with. I mentioned when this all started that it was difficult to say my daughter had cancer because it was like admitting something was very wrong. She's doing great and it's still hard to say.)

Well, I wanted this to be a look back at the year and all the things she's been through, and fought, and endured, but as I look back all I can do is cry, and if you want to do the same... all the posts are still there. The thing that gets to me the most is the support we received. I look at what was only a few short weeks of intense scariness and replay in my mind the intense friendships and love that we developed with the people around us. The visitors at the hospitals, the prayers the blessings, the meals, the God sent angels to take care of our baby so that we could be with his sister... I owe all of you so much. And I miss all of you so much. (Distance is a funny thing.) 

On Monday (because Bill was going to be out of town) we went out to dinner to celebrate. Of course, we went to Red Robin. We toasted Olivia and her braveness and strength. "What about me?" Aaron asked. So we toasted to Aaron's braveness and love. Bill and I were talking about it... it is so hard to believe that it's only been a year. It feels like so long ago that our world fell apart. That we heard what I had been pushing the doctors on for weeks. I vividly remember speaking to Nikki, my sister-in-law, and saying, "If it's leukemia it's leukemia. Just tell us and we'll get on with it." That morning, May 13th, Dr. B. had come in to Livi's hospital room sat with us for a bit and kissed her forehead on the way out. I knew then. Later that night after all the tests had been finalized he gave us the diagnosis. It was all I could do to not tear that room apart. My "sweet princess".

These first 4 photos were taken just weeks before diagnosis. (When she wasn't in pain.)



The rest of the photos are in chronological order starting with Monday, May 12, 2008



















June















July

August




September


October

November
December
January '09
February

March
April
May

One year later and look at her! Look at us! Olivia, you are truly so BRAVE, and our family is still STRONG! Not a single day goes by that I don't thank my Heavenly Father for the choicest blessings in my life.
Saturday, May 9, 2009

10 comments:

Steph said...

I'm going to have to stop reading your blog if you make me cry every time I log on! Thanks for the stroll through those pictures of Livi. She looks so good right now. What a little miracle she is.

Tara said...

Congratulations!!! What a great milestone. It's amazing how much color she has in her face in the last few photos compared to the others. She is so beautiful and such a strong girl. An example to us all.

Grandma Susie said...

Well done Rachel! Yes, it's hard to believe only one year has gone by; it seems more like ten! But what a year this has been. We all have so much to be thankful for.

Adventures in Healing said...

Really it has only been a year?! She seriously is like a spot of sunshine. I think that every time I see her. And you know what? I think I like the short hair better anyway!
p.s. You answered a really trivial question of mine so thanks. I wondered if leukemia was a type of cancer or it's own disease in itself. I guess I didn't think it was. Billy is undergoing testing for it. I'm grateful for Livi's example. She's the only one I've known who has survived it.

Lizzy said...

Livi is the bravest little girl we know! We love you little Livi and Aaron. I love her cute short hair also....She looks so grown up! We're thinking of you and praying for your family often.

Liz & Todd

Lovell Family said...

What a story to behold in those pictures....Wow! We're so glad you are all doing so well, and being so strong!

DeAnn and Bob said...

What an incredible family of strength! I am in awe of your courage, faith, love, and my heart feels so much emotion scrolling through the pictures. Olivia is incredible and we are so thankful to have her in our life. The last image captures your family beautifully. We admire you so much and hope that someday we can be amazing parents just like you.

Cathy said...

As usual,you had me crying. the only difference was today's were tears of happiness. 1 year later, I see a healthy and strong family who has a pillar of strength of loved ones supporting them. Love you all.

Meg and Jeremy said...

Congrats Livi! We are so glad that you are doing well. Hailey misses you and wants to get together for a playdate, so give us a call when you get a chance.

williams family said...

I can't believe it has only been a year...you have experienced so much in that period of time...and gained so much strength...what a blessing.

Livi, we love you and we are so proud of your brave fight! When I look at your sweet little face it's hard to believe all you've experienced in your short life. You are such a special little girl.

Aaron, you are such a sweetheart with your Livi. I love the bond you two share, even at such a young age.