Monday, August 3, 2009

Sacramento for a week




Tuesday afternoon, the 7th, the kids and I drove out to visit my childhood friend Natalie Cabezud. We got to see her beautiful house in Roseville and were treated to Mountain Mike's Pizza! YUM! The kids especially enjoyed playing games and LOVED her bathtub. Thanks Natalie for a great evening.
From there we headed to Bill's brother's house. Sam and Nikki still live in Natomas but early last year moved to a new larger space. We stayed for the remainder of the week and enjoyed being there. We went to their clubhouse pool and Nikki and I even went to their club gym for a workout. For me it was such a relaxing experience having nothing to do once the kids were asleep. Lucky for us we were able to enjoy their beautiful newly built pergola that added a whole new room to their great backyard. 

The kids really had fun on this plane. So cute. 
The week ended with Josh's 3rd birthday with friends and family attending. We were so glad to have been able to time things right to be there for that fun day. Nikki did a fabulous job with the food and everyone had a great time. Aaron was more than willing to help  his cousin.

Looking at the pictures one might wonder whose birthday it was. Thank you Sam, Nikki, Josh and Cody for putting up with added chaos for a week. We truly had a lot of fun being with you.




We finished the week by visiting two more great families. The Petty's were part of our old ward in Sacramento and live near our old house. When we went to check out what the landscaper had accomplished we decided to stop by. Dennis played a game on the tv with Olivia for the duration of the visit while Cindy and I got to catch up. Aaron kinda just ran around doing a little bit of this and that. I was especially glad they were home, on the fly. I was really needing some "mom" time. I find myself gravitating towards women that are older than me. I always have, but since Mom passed away I've felt a greater need for it. I haven't had as much as some people, but for most women my age, not many understand the trials that I've been through. I feel like my book of life is very rich in text and that older women have great novels of their own to share. I feel extremely  blessed that I can have relationships with these women who I look up to and admire; all for different reasons. 

Sunday finished our week in the "City of Trees". I had arranged to meet up with our dear friends, the Elliott's, at their church ward in West Sacramento. Dan was our bishop when we lived there in the Valley Hi ward and is now serving as Branch President to the single adults of the area. I packed the car the previous night and finished that morning before heading to church, bike rack and all. As I parked in the church parking lot I saw Julie walking towards our car and quickly found myself fighting back tears. I looked toward Olivia and saw a smile a mile wide flashing across her face. Julie and I have a bond that not many people understand. She like I lost her mom after battles with cancer and she like I dealt with it very differently than any of our siblings. She, like I, gave her mother's eulogy, and she, like I  likes to tell it how it is. No sugar coating. I love Dan and Julie for so many things. So many things that I didn't even realize until I saw them that day. I love that we all openly can hug and say to one another, "I love you!" Because really, isn't that what this is all about?
Sorry Jules, this has memories behind it. It makes me laugh & I LOVE it!

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I am so glad that you are back home and blogging!!! I have missed the updates on everyone but now feel like I am getting to know more of the family :)

I only wish your trip to Sacramento was in September. I will be in Northern CA for 9 days. Starting in SF, then to Sacramento, then finishing in Napa / Sonoma.

Glad to see everyone is well and how long Livi's hair is getting. Miss you all.

Julie said...

Loved seeing you and the kids!!! Tell Bill we missed him. Seing you made me really miss you guys!!! Miss you not being in Sacramento. Hope that someday we will come see you in your new home.
Love Ya,
Julie