Thursday, November 5, 2009

CRAZY

I'm so disappointed with my lack of pictures. I guess my only excuse is that when everything is just happening one can forget that life is happening!
I did want to get this picture in here just for reference sake. Annie is getting so big so fast. It won't be long until she can no longer fit in this crate. (Photo taken on Oct. 20th.)

The middle of October brought a trip for Bill to Reno due to Senator Reid's need for political backing... enter VP Joe Biden. Friday, the 16 when he arrived home we met up with him at our old neighbor's house for a family night. Elaine and Jan had us "provide the family and games (they'd) provide the food." It was a GREAT evening. We even bought our newest family member, Annie. Instant love. As soon as we walked in Jan said, "You do know that we are your official dog sitters. If you ever go ANYWHERE we get to watch her." That won't be a problem. Annie even slept under Jan's feet for dinner and got her fair amount of snuggle/play time with Elaine. They made AWESOME quesadillas- I actually enjoyed the grilled veggie one the most. We all played "Cadoo", a children's version of "Cranium" and partook of the dessert we brought, "Million $ Dessert", or so I told Jan that's what we call it for the kids sake. On the way home it was all we could do to keep Annie off Olivia. She wanted to lay in her lap but Livi's tummy hurt. This is what seemed to work best for the both of them. (As long as Annie was touching Livi... life was good.)
The following week, on Wednesday the 21st, Annie got her first round of puppy shots and started a hard week for Livi. Because of continued chemotherapy Olivia cannot be around live vaccines... yes even dogs! Livi LOVES Annie and Annie LOVES Livi (as the previous picture shows). Livi cried when she found out she couldn't be around her for some time and asked, "Then who's going to take care of Annie and play with her?" We managed.

Wednesday, while waiting for the vet to check on the "live vaccine" thing, our friends the Williams' called and said that Sean's grandfather had been in a car accident and life flighted to Sunrise hospital here in Vegas. (That was Livi's hospital.) They came down to be with him but also to be with Grandma, they live in St. George.

Thursday my doorbell rang at noon, much to my surprise. It was my dad, whom I wasn't expecting until 4 or 5 that afternoon. Apparently when he went to sleep Wednesday night he couldn't turn his mind off and so hopped in the car and drove all night! This is not the first time he has done this. He and Angie surprised us last year for Easter by arriving at 3 or 4 in the morning instead of 9 or 10. I love my dad. It's always great to have him here but secretly I was hoping for some training help with Annie. He was just what the doctor ordered.

Thursday afternoon I made granola for everyone to enjoy, and that evening I took dinner to a friend who had just adopted her first baby and was realizing, birth or not, having a baby is tiring. Along with my dad and the Williams', we also had Sean's grandmother join us for dinner as a chance to get her away from the hospital scene. (As we know first hand how draining that can be.) I was so pleased and honored to have Sister Williams in my home, and to see that she was able to finish her dinner brought joy to my heart. It was nice to see her smile as I'm sure it was something that wasn't happening much with the current circumstances. (In speaking with Liz the following Monday we learned that Grandpa Williams had passed away Sunday morning. God bless Sister Williams and their posterity.)
Friday, the 23rd, brought Olivia's Halloween Kinder program that Dad and Aaron joined me at. Olivia makes me laugh. She once was so quite and cried uncontrollably when she sang with primary at church in front of everyone. Now!... we can hear her over the entire kinder group which was over 50 kids! She is so dominating in one of the songs she got too excited and sped everyone up by a full measure or more. I'm so happy that she was able to break out of that shell. Now we just have to figure out how to control it. After the program the kids went back to class and I took Aaron to the park with Liz and her two little ones, Kate and Dylan, while Papa hung out at the house to wait and pick Livi up from school. (I'll keep trying to get videos loaded, the site is having "technical difficulties".)
Surprisingly Aaron didn't really get into the pie contest like we thought he would. He was trying to lick it like ice cream. Papa kept trying to help and encourage but Aaron was easily distracted by the other participants.
Friday night was the school carnival, or "Bozarth County Fair" (my idea for the name). Dad went along and was a good sport. It was an incredible event with tons of games to play, food,
raffles and a pie eating contest! I talked a girlfriend of mine into doing it with me. Unfortunately we had just eaten funnel cakes and because we were adults they really piled on the whip cream. I'm pretty sure I won, and have witnesses to back me, but who could take the prize away from a 10 year old? I COULD! I WON FAIR AND SQUARE! Afterwards, Lisa and I agreed that we'd never been so close to self-induce vomiting before. (Lisa got the pics, I got the video.) Liz and Kate came but we didn't end up seeing them that much. Liz said Kate really had a good time and so did my kids.

Adam got in on the Greyhound bus that night (or Saturday morning to be exact) from Provo, UT at quarter to 2 so Dad went and picked him up.

Saturday morning was pancakes and eggs for all 10 of us with me trying desperately to get my whole wheat french bread made for the preparedness fair that morning at the church. Williams' were packed to get back home and ready to leave at about 11 when Bill finally was able to join the picture. (He had been in charge of the hotel stay for B. Clinton at Ceasar's and over the last 48 hours maybe clocked 6 hours of sleep. He got in at 4 that morning. We were trying our best to let him sleep.) It was good to have him back in our lives in time to at least say goodbye to our friends. (Liz and Sean, maybe one of these times when you visit, you'll actually be able to visit BOTH of us.)
Livi headed off to a friend's birthday party and Bill, Dad, Adam and I took Aaron on his reward outing. (We've been doing "obedience jars"... it works pretty good. If they obey or do
something good, they get a stone. They fill their jar they get to choose an outing/treat/etc.) Aaron chose the go carts. And he wanted to ride with Adam. Papa and I were along for the "ride". Then the dragon coaster and big slide with Dad. He loved every second of it until the seconds were over. "I'm not happy!" he exclaimed. Papa bribed him as only a papa can, "Aaron, do you want In 'n' Out?" A chocolate shake was a good way to end the day. Dinner was "anything is game" and homemade Carmel Pecan Crunch Apple Pie with vanilla ice cream for dessert. (Well, or dinner, whatever, it was FABULOUS!) At 10 the boys left me home on the couch to go to a creepy movie that I don't even remember the name of but it gave them great male bonding... you know the whole "just being together" thing. I'm glad they got to go.

Sunday was nice a restful day, as well it should be. A morning of football and an afternoon of church with a dinner of roasted chicken, carrots and mashed potatoes with gravy. Yum! And of course, apple pie for dessert.

Monday, the 26th Livi headed off to school with our neighbor, as usual and Dad and Adam accompanied me to take Aaron to school. He was very excited to introduce his Papa and Uncle Adam to his teacher, Mrs. Powers. (I love love love how Aaron ALWAYS calls Adam "Uncle Adam". Too cute.) We got home, Dad took Adam back up to Utah and I headed out on my bike with my girlfriend Rhonda. Later that day when Livi bit into her scrumptious sandwich she started crying about her teeth hurting... low and behold, she has her first loose tooth!!! I can't believe it!

Whew! What a crazy week!

3 comments:

Bryan Crew said...

You are NUTS to get a dog. Thanks for waiting until you moved... my kids would be begging for a dog even more than they already do! You seem settled and happy! Are you riding your bike yet?

Gretchen said...

I'm exhausted just reading about it! Fun fun though!

Grandma Susie said...

Annie's getting so big; what a cutie pie! Another fun filled busy busy week for the Ellison 4 family! I don't know how you do it. Love ya!