Monday, December 14, 2009

Christmastime Part I

How did Bill get the lights on the second story? By hoisting a ladder onto the roof, by himself of course! What a man won't do for his Christmas lights. (A neighbor also was able to help with his ginormous ladder for the far right.)
Of course this is a busy season for all and not that mine was any busier for any particular reason... Early in the season we had the opportunity to listen to a prophet's voice, President Monson's voice to be precise, and I really took his message to heart. Sure I wanted to do it all, the decorations the baking the parties the cards and the list goes on. For the most part I did accomplish everything I wanted to, just on a very different time schedule. (ie. I have yet to seal my Christmas card envelopes... they may be Valentine cards, but they are coming!!!) All that being said, it was a FANTASTIC season!
First things first, we put up our tree. Our loving neighbors let us borrow their artificial tree
this year. We figured it probably to be a good idea because we were leaving for California the day after Christmas. While it didn't quite hold the "natural" beauty of the season, it was a beautiful tree.
On several different occasions we decorated sugar cookies with friends. I have become very fond of freezers, make one big batch and the love keeps on goin'! This time was at Ashlyn and Ellie Wood's house where we watched the First Presidency's Christmas message.
I was able to make another quilt for my brother, Garrett and his wife Kristi who was having their 4th, their 2nd girl.
For our ward church Christmas party we did a "Providence version of The Polar Express". (Providence is our current ward's name.) We all went in our Christmas p.j.'s and brought our homemade with handpicked material by the kids, Christmas pillows and blankets and laid out in the cultural hall to watch an abbreviated version of the movie with some great add ins. For instance, when the main song is played it cut to a previously recorded tape of some of the kids from the ward singing that song. (Livi was able to volunteer for this. It was fun to see her face seeing herself up on the big screen.) We ate all sorts of "movie" food, like hot dogs, popcorn, candy, etc. but the best is when the passengers were served sweets on the train they paused the movie and brought out carts of hot cocoa for everyone. In addition, when the train pulls into the North Pole and Santa arrives... yep! St. Nick walked right through the doors and gave all the kids a candy cane and a bell from his sleigh! It was great. Bill was unable to attend but easily understood by the kids; he was providing protection for the Big Guy himself at St. Jude's Childrens' Ranch just outside of the city.
We were able to attend a Make-a-Wish Christmas party at the "Magical Forrest" downtown on
Wednesday the 9th. They had face painters and balloon artists and a gingerbread house town and Santa and Cinderella and rides and food and ... Terry Fatone! Dad was able to join us after work and despite the bitter cold, I think we hit a high of 35 that day (I know you're laughing at me Cathy), we had a great time. The kids even walked to the top of and slid down the "giant banana slide" (that's what I call it, the one that freaked me out as a little girl was yellow!) all by themselves. I was a bit worried for Olivia, she looked like she might loose her dinner at one point but she came off with a huge grin. Aaron... well of course he wanted to go again.


When I RSVP'd they asked for the ages of the children attending. For Aaron I obviously put age
3. The gifts were wrapped and given according to age, great plan I thought. Until I discovered they lumped the ages from 18 mos - 3 yrs! So Aaron got a See 'n' Say. I just laughed, I should've said 4. Much to my surprise, he LOVED IT! Who knew? I sure didn't. Livi, while standing in line to see the jolly elf, had told me that from Santa she wanted a Barbie. Well, I guess someone heard.
Aaron was more excited to see Cinderella than Olivia. Who can blame him? She was really cute.
Terry Fatone won a season of a hit tv show, "America's Got Talent" and thus landed his own show on the strip. He didn't do a lot on stage but met each guest individually. Very talented ventriloquist.
It was so very fun to see the kids having fun with Dad. We are so happy that he loves his job, but we love it when he can share in our day.
On Saturday, the 12th we went to a Candlelighter's Christmas party. This is the party where Aaron won the scooter...(see the previous post for more details.) What I didn't mention is that we were able to "convince"/remind Aaron that he really wanted a Batman cave and that he could ask for that from Santa. He marched right over to the Santa on the premises and told him of his new wish. Whew, crisis averted!
Cathy, you know how to make kids smile!!!
On Sunday the 13th our dear friend Cathy from Chicago (I feel as if that is her real name "Cathy from Chicago") spent the entire day with us. She had come to Vegas to meet up with some friends for the weekend but carved Sunday out just for US! It was so great to see her again and to give her the chance to actually meet Aaron and Bill. I picked her up at the Paris and then she went to church with us and had dinner with us. It was great to have Cathy join us for church. We both thought the "women's meeting" about friendship was very... perfect/timely. For dinner we had additional company as well. My brother, Adam and his girl friend, Mauni, were in town. It was a fun and yummy evening, and so great to be able to spend that time with Cathy. (For a refresher as to how we met Cathy, read my post from last year, November/December, and our trip to Chicago. It still makes the two of us tear up, and laugh, when we talk about it.
You are so great! Come anytime.

(As not to confuse myself/posterity: I am writing this in the first weeks of January 2010 but wanted to keep the chronology accurate.)

1 comment:

Cathy said...

I'm packing my bags and coming now...12 inches of snow expected tonight in Chicago!! I had such a great visit and so glad to spend time with the family. I was thrilled to finally meet Bill. I am quite sure that all of these months, he was thinking "stranger danger" instead of good Midwestern sincerity.

Spending the entire day with the family was just what I wanted for the holiday season. The women's service was so fitting and touching.... I couldn't have come at a better time. FATE... just like how we met on Michigan Ave :)

It was also so nice to meet Adam. I feel like I have gotten to know each of the Claycamps from afar. It is so aparent that your Mother's spirit and Father's characteristics is embedded in each of you. I look forward to meeting everyone else at some point. Congrats Aunt Gee on your Nursing degree!!!

Keeping my fingers crossed for another Vegas trip soon. Love to Livi and Aaron!!