Saturday, November 6, 2010

Camping 2010


I LOVE LOVE LOVE this picture. From left to right: Ellisons, Reasbecks, Dad, & Claycamps. This is our spot at the beach. We do the same thing every year. Suckers for tradition? Yes. But more than that, it's what we did with Mom.

How we manage to bring more stuff every year is beyond me but we did. This year we had the luxury of a fabulous new bike rack and a "coffin" as Grandma called it for on top of the car. With Annie in the middle seat and wedding gear on top of the camping gear we were packed to the brim. The trip up must've been just fine, I don't remember it one bit. As for the rest of the trip, I'll keep it simple... (lots of pictures, small amounts of text).
Friday morning, I do remember, it was Olivia's LAST CHEMO APPOINTMENT!!! YAY!!! And then we hit the road...16-17 hrs later and 2 days we arrived at the coveted camp spot of #38 in Millcreek Campgroud in the Del Norte Costal Redwoods of Crescent City, California.


Crabbing on the Pier (Emily is such a cutie)

Kristi and baby Abby
Playing games back at camp. I LOVE Livi's hair!
Our little man LOVES and thrives on affection. So darn cute. I was pleased with myself this year and did not use a blow dryer or any make-up. One might think, "Who uses those things while your camping???" Oh, it's been bad. One year we actually brought a generator for the hair dryers! I think I pulled off the natural look pretty good.

Happy 10th Birthday Evan! Double digits...WOOHOO!

The grandkids love their Uncle Adam and Aunt Gee. Of course cool gadgets always help.

Both kids were successful with 2 wheels this year.







What's a trip to the beach without Aaron laying in the sand. I think this year was his cleanest to date. Playing at the beach always includes some digging/building of sorts. This year we added some new depth to the whole beach experience and incorporated some sports. Soccer was a huge hit and then some volley ball. Ryan thought he had purchased a volleyball net, not a badminton one. Ah well, ya can't win 'em all. It was a lot of fun regardless.
Front: Chase, Emily, Logan. Back: Dax, Livi, Ethan, Aaron
The younger kids enjoyed playing down in the creek bed. (This is everyone, sans our youngest Abby, 6 yrs and younger. It was Daxton's first year camping with us, and actually first time camping. He looks a little overwhelmed here, but he had a good time.)They would throw rocks into what was left of the dried up pond. Apparently not all the campers were as fond of our kids playing on their own and letting us adults sleep in 'cause the ranger came down to our sites and told us to zip it! 9 o'clock is not that early!


This was one of those precious moments that I know my mom was watching. I love seeing my brother being tender with his girls.

Hiking (Livi. I think I take these beautiful trees for granted.)

Livi being her hammy/sassy self while Adam ponders if the Chinese ever did use "chinese handcuffs".(Thanks to Dad's friend, Sue, who joined our group this year and brought along some fun things to try out.) And of course, Aaron enjoying his food. Another of Sue's fun things!




The tide pools were really good this year. The best weather we've had at the pools for as long as we remember. Aaron and Livi with their finds.
Aaron and Ethan sunbathing

Bill and that wretched Celtics sweatshirt. I threaten to burn it every year. This year I will admit, I reminded him to pack it. Yes, tradition. The green is actually growing on me. Much like kelp on the ocean rocks.
Mine and Gretchen's possibly first official camp picture. Chase is cute too.

Grandkids!
Oldest to youngest, starting on Rt in back: Evan, Code, Chand Livi, Logan, E-Man, Aaron, Dax, Chasers, Emmy, and Abby(in Cody's arms). 11 great kids!

Ellisons
She wore her Cancer Shmancer shirt for this day. Back at camp we had a special celebration. This day, Thursday, July 22, 2010 was the last time Livi had to take chemo pills!!! We bought a cake at Safeway and had a bit of a ceremony. I helped Livi write down everything that she was "throwing away" with her pills. Things like, limitations of cancer, loosing her hair, not being able to play sports, fasting for spinal taps, meds, surgeries...etc. We filmed it. She then threw the list in the fire and poured her remaining pills in a box and smashed them with a hammer. Some of the shot out of the box and we joked about coming next year and finding a giant hairless chipmunk who ate Livi's chemo pills and steroids. After a good beating she threw the box in the fire and we clapped as she watched the sparks. I'm not sure about everyone else, but for me, the tears were definitely rolling.


, Ryan, Bill, Cody, Chandler and I went on a bike ride along the original Hwy 1. It was a good ride and very difficult for the boys but they pushed through and made it, only walking up one fairly steep hill. I laughed when Bill asked if that's how hard my rides are. At parts of the road you could see, through the overgrowth, the old road. FUN.

Packing up is always a chore, but we are getting better. The kids are helpful by playing with one another. Livi and Ethan kept Abby happy.

Ethan, Aaron and Emily
Every year we have taken a picture on our last day in front of this tree in front of campsite 38. I think next time the kids will be on the ground!

We've tried a new tradition the last couple of years. It's seeming to stick.
Lunch at Samoas Cookhouse just outside of Eureka. It's a bit out of the way but good family style food and we're not cooking it! Bill did some worthwhile life skill teaching. Chan caught
on rather nicely. Everyone had a great time. I lost a filling... and Livi was lovin' on Aaron!



Until next year...

4 comments:

Crystal said...

I'm glad you had such a good time camping with your family. Traditions like that are so fun. Also, yay for Olivia being all done with her treatments/pills. I can only imagine how great that must be for all of you. It brought a few tears to my eyes just thinking about it.

Gretchen said...

Great job Rachel! I too LOVE that picture of all our cars! That is so awesome! Wow! Love ya!

Steph said...

Fun times!

Cathy said...

First and foremost, YEAH on the last chemo treatments!!!! It brings tears to my eyes. Oh Olivia, I am so proud of you and your strength through your entire ordeal. You are an angel with so much inner strength.

I love the annual blog about the family camping trip. The picture of the cars is just priceless!!

Sadly, I am very disappointed in Bill's Celtic sweatshirt. With all his travels, can't he find a better team?

I was waiting to hear about what tricks the adults did on the kids after night fall, sounds like none was done this year but you had plenty of other stuff to make up for it.

Rachel, your attention to detail always amazes me. You should totally become a children's story writer!!!