Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Silver Linings

I've been wanting to post more but have been reluctant because I don't have the ability to download pictures from the hospital, but any info is good info, or at least better than none! These next several blogs may not have a particular order but I wanted to break them down by titles because...I can! :) No. It's just things that have been running through my mind.

When Bill got hired with the service and timing of the whole thing with training and moving and my mom passing away I couldn't see the big picture and know that I still don't in it's entirety, but I get glimpses and oh yes, they are definately sweet.
-The biggest one that comes to me because of Olivia's diagnosis is the fact that we chose Las Vegas over San Francisco, San Jose, and Las Angeles. Why? you ask. I strongly believe that we easily would have been placed in the care of a pediatric rheumatologist and Livi would have gone forward being treated for JRA. But, becuase there is such a "lack of good healthcare", there aren't any peds. rheumatologists in Vegas and we were put under the care of a Pediatric Oncologist. Who, by the way does not fit in to the whole generality of Vegas Healthcare.
-Also, although there are moments of gut wrenching pain when Livi cries out for her Grandma. No matter how painful, I do believe, in my heart of hearts that having her very own gaurdian angel to watch over her, and who went through everything that Livi is going through is a tremendous blessing. Our family has no doubt been through a lot, but I know that with the trials of this past year and learning how to completely rely on the spirit...that's how we will make it through these next years to come. Talking to a friend, she mentioned that God wasn't done with me. I said, it's definately one heck of a refiners fire. I have a different perspective on it now (1short week later). Last year was my course work, this is my final!

As I really start to think about the path that has brought us to this point I am nothing short of amazed at all the people that played a role. My sister-in-law, Kristi, put me in touch with her cousin Stephanie when we moved out here. Her family has been great friends to us and put us in touch with the pediatrician who had ties to the Hospital (UMC) that could get Livi in right away, who put us in touch with Dr. Bernstein who took us away from UMC and brought us to this wonderful Hospital, Sunrise Children's Center. I guess I need to say, "Thank you Kristi"!

1 comment:

Lovell Family said...

Rachel, you are one of the strongest people I know! I'm not sure how you keep it all together...you've got such a strong testimony and positive outlook on everything! THanks for all the updates...you guys are forever in our prayers!