Thursday, September 4, 2008

Breakfast is Served



Things have been going great with Olivia as one could tell by looking at the latest blogs. But Aaron understandably so is feeling a little left out. Yesterday at his doctor appointment (he's had a rash on his tummy for a while)the pediatrician was giving all the attention to miss Olivia. Noticing her beautiful sparkly sandals and hot pink toenails, and on and on and on. Aaron was trying desperately to get a word in edgewise. (All morning, the appointment wasn't until 1:15, Aaron was repeating, "me doctor! me doctor!") This understandable but no doubt wrongfully directed attention, broke my heart. Aaron's bright blue eyes shifted quickly between the doctor and myself as if to ask, "what's the deal?!" He dove in to the rhetoric as best as he could, "Me b'ue...me toes b'ue(We paint Aaron's toenails a light blue color so he doesn't feel left out during Livi's pedicures.)...me daddy...me toes b'ue!!!" Poor kid. I tried to respond while the doc caught up with Olivia but it just wasn't the same. The doctor is a great guy, but understandably so he was more than excited to see his patient doing well whom he had failed time and again to properly diagnose. Aaron finally got the attention he desired but by then he either figured, "too little too late." Or he simply just didn't want it. My poor little guy, such a trooper. So, this blog is donated to Aaron. The firecracker of our family!!!

Anyone that has met Aaron and has had the privilege of seeing him around food, will know what I'm talking about when I say he takes food to a whole other level. To him it's not what helps you live, it's what you live for! (It's a darn good thing he's got his dad's metabolism from boyhood and that he gets to see his parents physically active daily.) EVERY morning when Aaron wakes up the first thing he says is, "breakfast!" We can't get it to him fast enough. A little over a month ago, Bill had gotten him out of his crib and went about getting ready for work. Aaron was quietly playing so I stayed in bed with hope of falling back to sleep. (Does it ever really happen?) Anyways, Bill left and I heard the refrigerator open followed by drawers being pulled in and out. A few seconds go by and in walks Aaron to my room carrying...breakfast! Except for, as you can tell from the picture, it is not the typical breakfast meal...at least not in our home. HOTDOGS?! Complete with the buns! Yumm?! (Luckily I had been looking through the pictures on my camera the night before and had it on my night stand.) This picture is SO Aaron and makes me laugh!

Well jump forward to present day. Aaron is now in a big boy bed and enjoys getting up on his own every morning. Today Bill and I were both getting ready for the day (I attended early morning spin class) and Aaron trounces in still stretching his little body. We ask him how his night was, to which he always replies, "Goo'." along with a sigh and a stretch. He then quickly follows it up with, "B'e'fas'?!" (breakfast) . We try putting him off as long as possible knowing he surely won't starve to death if he doesn't eat the moment upon awakening. Apparently, this morning, he did not agree. He must have thought he was going to starve because when we went out to the kitchen, this is what we found! To get the bowl he unlocked and opened the dishwasher, the spoon was in the drawer, the raisins on the very top shelf, and the oatmeal on top of the fridge! By the time we found him the bowl was already full of raisins. I must say, he's quite the resourceful little guy. I don't even know if my brother knows how to cook old fashioned oatmeal, and he's 24!! (HaHa. I love you Adam!!!)

What more can I say. Aaron is what keeps us laughing or in the very least rolling our eyes in disbelief. The other morning we came out to find him having eaten the cookies in the Tupperware. I couldn't remember just how many were left from the night before but it was much more than the one that sat alone. I asked Aaron how many he had eaten to which he confidently replied, "tee" (three)! And then with elbows bent and palms up shrugged his shoulders and did a quick sigh as if to say, "So? What's the big deal?" AAAAHHHHHHHHHH! It's a good thing he loves intense rib tickles because a lot of the times I don't know what to do besides that. He's just really cute and carefree.


Aaron, you may be a "nut", but we love you more than you'll ever know!

7 comments:

Steph said...

We love you, Aaron!

Lovell Family said...

what a great post. Aaron and his breakfast reminds me of Easton. Easton too will wake up (before anyone else really wants to be up) and ask for breakfast first thing! I'm looking forward to the day he can do it all himself!

williams family said...

Oh, I love Aaron! I can't think of him without smiling, he has such an infectious smile. He always seems to have fun no matter what.

Heidi said...

we are so glad things are going well! It's interesting about Aaron. Our Cole has some of the same problems at times as well. He will tell us his legs hurt and that he can't do things we know he can. It's tough as a parent to have devoted so much time to the oldest and make sure the other(s) feel like they are getting the same amount of time. We marvel at how good you are all doing.
Heidi

Staiger Smiles said...

What a doll! He is so sweet! Boys are the greatest...

Grandma Susie said...

Yea Aaron! What a nice post; thank you Rachel. You described him to a "T" or I should say "T-bone" for Aaron! The pictures of him are so cute! Yes, he is Mrs. Independent, I can vouch for that!

Starting Out... said...

My Mr. Man. I love you so much and am proud to call you Gee's Nut!. Love ya bud