Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Monday Madness





Monday was an interesting day with things not quite going as normally as I would have planned. First off, Livi didn't feel like wearing her mask to the gym (who can blame her, I hate wearing them just to access her and that's only 10 minutes tops) so I had to get creative on how to exercise and keep two kids entertained at the same time. Off to the tennis courts we went. First I had to drive to 2 different gas stations to pump up the tires on my jogging stroller to walk to the park in. (I spent more time driving to the gas stations than it took us to walk to the park!) Our upstairs neighbor, Karen, joined us and once the "pram" was loaded down with the 70lbs of kid weight plus the 4 rackets, balls, lunches, water bottles and...I think that's it, we were set. WHEW! It was the first time in over 20 years for me playing tennis and Karen over 12, but we decided to make the best of it and soon discovered it is much different than racquetball. Go figure! You actually have to have control of your swing! (Karen and I play racquetball at least once a week and are impressed with our progress over the past month or so.) The kids were able to set up camp in a shady corner of the court but after Aaron ate all of his lunch and mine, they became restless. So, they joined in. (They got to use the racquetball rackets.) The kids had fun, and Karen and I got in a decent 30-45 min workout. Afterwards, we let the kids play at the adjoining park before heading home.

Once at home we were contacted by the radiological center for Livi to have a CT scan to follow the progress of her 70% destroyed pancreas. Originally she was going to have to drink barium (nasty!) and not knowing when she was going to start being sick from chemo, I took advantage of an opening they had for that day. It turned out she only had to drink water but it was nice to get it over with. I "quickly" accessed her port, left Aaron with Karen , I thank heaven daily for her, and headed to the appointment at 2:30. She has had several scans, that she does remember, but was still a bit nervous. Taking pictures helped focus her mind on the website and not so much on the tech and his seemingly cluelessness on how to handle a port-a-cath. (It's a darn good thing that I know what to do with them and the procedures and medications needed for them. I even brought my own stuff in case they didn't have the right stuff. Good thing too, he tried to "hep-lock" her but did it completely wrong so I used my supplies to finish her off.
Afterwards for a treat I took Livi to Quiznos and she ate all but 2 bites of a chicken Sammy. YUMM-O!

4 comments:

williams family said...

She seems so grown up in that video! It's crazy how much she has matured through this experience. What a cutie, we love you Livi!

Grandma Susie said...

Hi Family,

What a cool video! So cute! I love the sign language, Olivia! Hope the cat scan shows improvement. Love you guys :)

NancyD said...

Rachel, Bill and kids;
Every time I read your posts I am overwhelmed with emotion and awe. Thank you for continuing to share with all of us your family's journey through this most challenging terrain. You are an inspiration to all those who know you. You are in our prayers. Nancy & Mark Pierce

The Nevada Neibaur's said...

Playing tennis is a wonderful way to work-out! You are very creative. Your kids are so lucky to have you for their mom!:) I am so glad that we know your sweet family!