Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Apple Season

That beautiful time of year when the leaves start to change and our family starts thinking of our annual trip to Apple Hill, which is a little outside of our travel range this year.  This year we visited a different orchard of sorts, the "Apple" Store. Yes, today Bill bought a Mac! I'm a little nervous to say the least...Bill and I both keep looking for the right click on the mouse, but I think we'll get comfortable and learn to love the new member of our family. It does seem like a huge step, we have to relearn everything we've been taught for the past 12+ years!!! Anyways, this purchase was not completely expected, last week I was bugging Bill about how frustrated I was getting with our computer that kept freezing and lagging in basic commands and then low and behold as of Sunday the darn thing wouldn't even turn on. Bill was convinced I had sabotaged it. When we finally agreed to buy the Mac (with much pushing from me and persuasion from our neighbor) I said under my breath, "It really didn't take as many cups of water as I thought to fry the hard drive!" Bill just glared at me with a smirk on his face. And so here we are, somewhere between not knowing how to do more than type and having such great pictures to share. We'll get there.
A quick synopsis as to Olivia and her condition. She is doing remarkably well. She has this week off from treatments YEAAAA!!!! We don't even have to do the daily 7 pill crush! It's amazing what you can find that's worth celebrating. It comes at a good time too, Livi has really been upset with having to take all the meds all the time. I think of how much I hated having to take my pill every night, she has morning and evening regimens to follow! YUCK! Her counts fell very low, as to be expected, with her white blood cells barely recognizable, so we were isolated last week, which turned up back firing. It was like living in a hotzone. I had strep and Aaron had a 24 hr bug of vomit and fevers! Miraculously, Livi escaped unscathed! What a fighter! Today, I noticed a big drop in her energy level so I drew her blood, took it in and then went over to the hospital for a blood 
transfusion. Her hemoglobin had fallen to 7.8 (normal, I believe, is around 15). All of this was to be expected. The good news is we were able to catch it right away, they don't do
 transfusions until below 8, and now I know that her other levels have started to climb which means she is on track to continue with the end of this phase's chemo for next week! This was a huge relief. My dad's coming down to help with next week's treatment because it is 4 days in a row with the first day being 8+ hours in the office. If she was to be delayed...ugh! (WOW! Look what I just did! I actually figured out how to get a picture off my camera and into my Mac! Where's my diploma?!) Anyways, as you can tell the kids had a blast! (NOT!) Who could blame them. From the time we left home until we returned was 6 1/2 hours! Aaron did really well considering the less than roomy conditions that were provided. At least we had a private room, about 1/3 the size of a normal hospital room, but it had a bed and a T.V. so we survived. Olivia 
was great also. She cried a couple of times wanting to go home but who could blame her. We were able to visit with her PICU nurse Lisa. Just seeing her made me cry! All in all it was a good day, and if nothing else Livi got a good boost and we got some cute pictures! 
As I get more time I'll update on all the excitement to fill in the gaps. My journaling has been sadly on hold due to the computer issues but we're now back on track!







Livi was able to enjoy a phone call to Papa. I love it when my dad makes her laugh!

6 comments:

bendanielsfamily said...

I can't believe you bought Mac...how dare you go to that side :) just kidding. I'm so excited to hear that Olivia is doing well through her treatments! the pictures are so cute. I can't believe how big aaron has gotten!
i miss you guys so much!

Lovell Family said...

Rachel, I'm sorry to hear you and Aaron weren't feeling well...how blessed you are that Livi was fine...I've been nervous since we came to your place with our easton's sneezes! So glad to hear olivia is doing well. You're lucky your dad is able to come down and help too..that's so nice. Tell the kids we say hi! Good luck learning the Mac...

Heidi said...

We are so glad to hear that Livi is doing so well--this phase can be so difficult! Has she had any problems with mouth sores as of yet? She is so darling... we would love to get her and Jake together one day. We check your blog out together often as he wants to see how brave Livi is and if she is really doing the same things he is. Good luck with the rest of this phase! I think you are going to surpass us here pretty soon!

Steph said...

I'm glad you guys survived a rough week. I sure haven't been a very good friend lately. We need to get together soon to give you guys a change of scenery. Glad Livi is feeling better.

The Nevada Neibaur's said...

What a good-looking family!:)
Olivia looks so precious, she's a beautiful girl.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Nikki Ellison said...

Look at the fancy new page:). So good to see Livi doing so well. And congrats on your new Apple, at least you didn't have to spend hours in the car and deal with the massive amount of people, like last year:). We are so excited to come and see you guys, we are counting the days.

Talk to you soon,
Love always,
Nikki