Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Catch Up

So, some quick blurbs with cute pics to help me catch up on what's been going on in our little world. 

My dear friend Lisa Lovell came with her oldest son Easton for a quick visit several weeks ago. They were able to
 extend their trip to St. George by going a little further south and visit with us for an overnighter. We met Lisa and her family when we lived in our first Sacramento ward, as it was theirs and many others as well. We lovingly referred to it as the newlywed or nearly dead ward. What great fond memories I 
have of the Hurley ward. Anyways, it was such a treat to have them with us. We were pleased to share with them a piece of our heaven, Red Rock Canyon. I don't think Easton shared the same enthusiasm with us about the rocky terrain.  He wasn't so interested in climbing up high...but really who can blame him, it takes some getting used to.

So as to be expected Livi's counts fell and we were put in "quarantine". Lucky for me I acquired strep at the same time so I was the one wearing the mask this time. This was probably a good thing though because it gave Livi the chance to be the one reminding me to put on my mask. One day into it, Bill was finally home for a night and low and behold Aaron got a 24 hr flu bug. Lots of puke...EVERYWHERE! I don't know what I would've 
done had Bush 43 kept his plans to come to Vegas that night!!! As mentioned in an earlier post, Livi was confined to a hotzone but remarkably made it out unscathed. However, with Olivia being in "solitary confinement" the last couple of weeks we got creative on what to do with our time. The kids have come to enjoy watching movies on the portable DVD player with a 7 inch screen while the 42" screen sits just beyond the yellow sheet. I remember everything being cooler in a fort. Now if we can just keep Aaron still long enough to watch the movie. Popcorn helps but...it is Aaron we're talking about! When I had strep and was wearing my yellow mask Our upstairs neighbor came down to say hello and saw me matching our fort (yellow fort, yellow mask). She said she wanted a picture to catch how pitiful we all looked, I kinda wish we had captured it on film. It was a pretty low time. What can you do?!

Livi has thoroughly enjoyed the IPod that was sent to her by loved ones. This is Bill trying to get there attention to say goodbye before a trip. Sorry Bill, they've got other things on their mind while eating breakfast!It brought about a new phrase in Aaron's ever increasing vocabulary, "Me IPod". Which is easy enough to understand, just a little strange coming out of a 2 year old's mouth. He's been put on electronic restrictions being that he can't seem to breathe without it. For the record, Olivia has hers and Aaron's, well Aaron has seized mine! I wonder what it'll be like running to "The Backyardagains" theme song?

Poor Aaron...in a way I guess it's a good thing considering he's had this problem since mid August. He was finally "diagnosed" if you can call it that, with eczema. I'm thinking I need to find a new pediatrician for my kids. Everyone knows the story with me questioning the pediatrician with whether or not Livi could have Leukemia and him repeatedly assuring me that it wasn't, well, strike 2! We saw him for Aaron's rash 3 separate times each time me voicing  my concern of eczema and each time him saying "no, it's not". What am I paying him for? We went to a dermatologist who barely glanced at this kid squirming out of irritated skin and said, "Oh, he has eczema." Well there you have it. I'm now on the market for a new pediatrician. I wonder, since Dr. B's NP, Jeni, wrote the script for my strep, can I just adopt them as my family GP? I don't know how an oncologist could pass as that for insurance purposes. Any ideas out there let me know.





May I just say, I love this picture! The first Sunday of October was General conference for our church, which means we get to watch a broadcast from Salt Lake City. So after the morning session, I, thanks to DVR, recorded the 2nd session and took the kids up to Red Rock. Bill had left that morning for duty...somewhere, I don't remember where, he's been everywhere lately. Anyways, what a great day. Just the kids and I and we did truly explore. We parked at a new site, the 3rd spot in and just started climbing rocks, led by our fearless leader Olivia. I don't think she knows she has cancer and severe pancreatitis. She forges the trails (we actually didn't follow any trails) and suggests that we go further. Aaron, rests every chance he gets and Livi just keeps going. I ALWAYS end up carrying Aaron back to the car, but not Olivia. She amazes me with her strength. She's such a trooper, we even had to dig a latrine, in which she commented, "Mom you are the best! You always have everything we need!" I'll pat myself on the back for that one...I did feel 
pretty well prepared. Have I mentioned how much I love Red Rock?!

This was great fun! We had unexpected visitors from our home town of Redding come visit Las Vegas for a anniversary/double birthday celebration. My girlfriend, Natalie's 
parents, whom I've known since I was 3, Frank and Pat Cabezud, were celebrating in Vegas and called the kids and I to come join them for a day at the pool of Mandalay Bay. It was fantastic. The kids and I swam with Pat in the pool and then Livi went with them to get lunch for us all. The best burger and fries I think I've ever had. Then, while Livi napped, Frank took Aaron on the lazy river and gave Pat and I a good chance to catch up. It was so great to be included in such a fun day. Livi slept for a good
couple of hours, hence no pictures of the princess, but we all had a great time. It was fun to see Pat and Frank playing with my kids as they are soon to be first time grandparents! Congrats to Brian and Meg!



This has been a lot to review, but what a great month we had. Lots of fun memories!!!

3 comments:

Grandma Susie said...

Dear Family,

Thank you Rachel for the fabulous update! I'm praying everything goes well for all of you this week. Yes, I agree with you; you need to find a new doctor! I'm so looking forward to seeing you in November. Until then, take care and keep the spirit!

Love,

Grandma Susie

DeAnn and Bob said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the "fort" picture! It makes me want to make one with Bob and watch a movie in it. Olivia, I am truly jealous. (in a good way) :)

We are super excited to see you in November for an early turkey day!!!

Love, DeAnn & Bob

Steph said...

Glad you're moving on from the quarantine. Hope everyone is feeling better.