Friday, January 23, 2009

New Home

At last, the post you've all been waiting for. Let us know what you think!
Aaron and Olivia LOVE playing outside in our "court". The street dead-ends at our house on the side and the house opposite us perpendicular to us. The kids have tons of great street space to play on with no worries of cars interrupting their play.

Welcome to our home!

Looking back at the front door. This is the front room space that is proving difficult for me. It's not a very large space but I want to make the best of it. I'm thinking of a couch in front of the window facing two arm chairs or perhaps another couch. I'm open to opinions.
I was very worried about the hardwood laminate that we picked out as an after market add on. We didn't ever compare it to the cabinetry or the granite. Adding the 3rd wood color of the island was also very nerve wracking for me. The result was just what I wanted. Very earthy and warm toned throughout. The stainless steel appliances and sink were a huge bonus thrown in from the home builder as incentive to this particular home being that the previous buyer fell through. Hard to keep clean? Perhaps. But I don't stress and they are very nice.

Just beyond the stairs is a guest full bath, for all you who want to visit, and our renovated TV room
Eventually we want to get a comfy sectional for this room. Having bought a NEW house one would think there wouldn't be much to do. Well, fortunately we were lucky enough to really be able to make this room work for us. We added french doors to accentuate an entry and privacy...
...trimmed down the size of the closet opening to put in double doors so that we could put a whole in the wall to hang our TV, as flush to the wall as possible. The closet is a very large storage, craft, entertainment closet. The builder's superintendent has helped us soo much. The house is complete but he spends much time hear making sure everything is working how we want it to. He contracted out with 5 different guys to do the TV mount. They ran cable and electricity to the inside of the closet so only the TV is visible with an infrared sensor to control everything with. We are so thrilled with how it turned out. The contractor jokes with us about how much money we ended up putting in to such a small room but asks if he can bring people by to show it as an option in their models.

I love seeing the kitchen every time I walk down the stairs. I'm very pleased with how it all came together.
For this picture of the computer desk (thanks to Harrington's), and the laundry room to the left, I'm standing in our bedroom doorway with the kids rooms and their bathroom off to my right.
Our room is just right. It's a good size with vaulted ceilings in the bedroom as well as the bathroom with an oversized tub/shower. The countertop in the bathroom is even higher than normal which was a "luxury" I never saw myself spending money on, but that came with the house. I think it's great!
Livi's room is soo perfect for her. The walk in closet even has a window! It's great because she has lots of wall space to set her craft table against and doll beds etc. She even has a storage shelf in her closet, along with her dresser to help hold all her craft/game supplies!
I LOVE Aaron's room. I love the size, the colors (thank you Grandma & Papa T. for the bedding) and the beautiful bunk beds and dresser from our New Zealand neighbors. (Thank you Harrington's, we miss you!)

No matter how many pictures, it's hard to really see it. Please, if ever in town, stop on by and visit for a while.

14 comments:

Gretchen said...

It looks great! And it will feel even more homier once things are on the walls, and when you guys decide to put paint up too. The kitchen does look nice from the stair shot! Thanks for the post I can stop bugging you now! He-he!
luv, Gretchen

Lovell Family said...

wow...I'm so glad you guys found such a nice home! Do you have a yard? turf? I'd love to see where the kids play. I'm so glad you're loving it so much!

I swear I'll call you soon! I've got some news.

Steph said...

Looking good. I'm glad you're settling in and finding places for everything.

Cathy said...

The house looks wonderful for only being in a couple of weeks. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the kitchen. The kitchen is where the heart is... so it's perfect!!!!

Staigerfamily said...

Love it! Congratulations! Thanks for the tour. . . I love the various woods! Beautiful!

DeAnn Michiels said...

Congratulations!! We love the hardwood floors and the kitchen is spectacular!

Jessica said...

Looks like a great house! I'm sure you guys will fill it with lots of wonderful memories which I think makes the house a home!

Meg and Jeremy said...

Oh it's great Racheal! I love the floors they look awesome! Hope fully one of these days we can make it over that way to see it in person. We miss you guys and Hailey misses Olivia.

bendanielsfamily said...

beautiful house! I love the way your tv fits in the wall...and your new island is perfect

Staiger Smiles said...

We are so happy for you!! The new house is beautiful. Congrats!

williams family said...

It looks great, we'll have to come check it out! I do see your dilema with that front room, but I think a couch and two chairs would work nicely. The TV room looks like it turned out perfect, great idea.

Grandma Susie said...

Very nice...can't wait to see it! Something about it reminds me of the Sacramento house. I like the TV room - very awesome! Thanks for the update; I know how busy you must be.

Meg and Jeremy said...

Hey I need your new address. Hailey would like to send Olivia an invitation to her b-day. Would you mind emailing it to me at megneff@msn.com I would appreciate it. Thanks!

caracathryn said...

I have to say, I love the island in the kitchen:) So glad to hear you're getting a lot of use out of it!