Saturday, April 25, 2009

Two weeks without Dad


On Thursday, April 16th I took the kids on a tour of the Great Harvest Bread Company with a mom's playgroup that we do with church. YUMM-O! It was really cute. The lady let each kid "make" their own bread and showed them what the different machines do. Then, while the bread baked they nibbled on cinnamon swirl bread and she read 'The Little Red Hen". (I loved it. I remember my mom reading that story to me!) Afterwards, we bought a loaf of "pumpkin pie bread" as Aaron calls it.   
On Saturday, the 18th, Olivia and Aaron were invited to join Candlelighters for an art day. There was an upcoming golf tournament, for fund raising, that needed awards. So, the kids all got to paint canvases that were to be given as the awards in the tournament. A local artist, Diane, was there to help. The kids loved it. I honestly think they could've spent all day there. For Aaron, only as long as there was an endless snack supply! Leila, a friend we've met through the treatment process, was also there with her sister Deena, mom Laura and grandma Kay.




The new week brought new temperatures. Mid 90's on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Luckily some friends of ours have a pool and we were able to relax in its wonderfulness, but we also enjoyed the park earlier in the day. My bike and trailer was used a lot this week. It's easier to get the kids in and out of the bike trailer, and faster too. Sunday, we went to our friends for dinner and as I was pulling the kids up the hill Livi said, "Mom, you're not going fast enough. We can still see the trees!" me: "I'm going up a big hill". Livi: "What hill?" AH! It's fun to not use a car... as an option.
The quick rise in temperature brought lots of bugs too. This lady bug crawled all over the kids! They both squirmed as it crawled up to their ears'.

On Tuesday, the 21st, I walked in to Aaron's room to "lock down" for the night and saw this. For some reason, seeing this made me realize how big my baby is getting. He stretched across his entire big boy bed! Don't get me wrong, in no way does it make me "baby hungry", Bill and I have decided with sincere prayer that we are done, but it does make me want to pick him up and rock him in my arms. If Aaron keeps growing this fast, soon I won't be able to hold him. He has always been our little love. Such a tender heart. He plays so hard. He loves food and TV. But if given the option to "DO" something over watching TV, he'll walk away from the picture in a heart beat. Olivia the other day said, "What's Aaron good at?" (It was a sincere question. She had just finished reading to me and I had praised her for doing so well.) I smiled and replied, "Aaron is VERY good at enduring. Some things are really hard for him, like speaking. It's hard for him to make all those sounds but he tries and tries and doesn't get frustrated." He can tell you something 10 times and if you still don't know what he's saying he'll keep trying. He doesn't get mad at you for not understanding. He simply says, "No, no, no, no, no." And then tries again. He loves babies and thinks they're so cute. He always wants to touch them.He has also really come to love music. I caught him B' boppin' to Jack Johnson the other day. I had to covertly get this film. It's quick but it's funny.

3 comments:

Lovell Family said...

Alright, where did you get spill free bubbles? Seriously, do you know how many bubbles I've been through? So glad to hear you're doing well! And I'm so impressed with your bike riding skills...!

Gretchen said...

So glad that you had fun those weeks that Bill was gone. Rachel you are such a hands on mom. It's great to read and hear about all you do with and for your kids. IT'S FANTASTIC AND INSPIRING! Love ya!

Grandma Susie said...

Great job Rachel! I love the pictures of your adventures. It's great for Bill to see your days while he is working away from home. Aaron, you've got the soul; the love for music is definitely in your genes!