Sunday, September 20, 2009

Because I can!

I took my camera with us to the grocery store because... I can, now that I have one!
Friday 9/18
I have been having absolutely NO luck finding shoes/pedals for my road bike, and so, after ordering online twice and hitting 4 different bike shops in the valley I decided to wait, outdoor riding is almost over for the season, and look again in the new year. In the mean time I couldn't let the allocated money go to waste and so the kids and I went to Best Buy and purchased a new camera!!! Thanks to friends who "do their homework" I picked out a Canon Powershot in the beautiful color of teal. It makes me happy when I look at it. I put a protective film cover over the screen so I don't need to stress when slipping it into my purse and have already found it to be greatly used.
Friday night, after our fun purchase I had to drag the kids to the store. They used to not really mind going shopping, but since school has started neither of them have had to run errands with me much and so now it is very much dreaded when we do. I decided to make it fun for them and so thought of a little game. With the alphabet written on a piece of paper I told them to find a food that started with each letter of the alphabet. One extra point if it's healthy and two extra if they get the price of the item. It was great except for two things: 1. Aaron wasn't able to write anything (next time I'll have to do a picture find for him). and 2. Livi was so thorough that the shopping trip took a lot longer than I had intended. It was fun to see them SO excited about shopping. Aaron made me sooo extremely proud when he found the peppers and said that they started with "p"! I was thrilled and made a big to-do about it. He ran through the produce screaming at Olivia to "come see! Peppers for "P"!" And, so that Livi could write better, she actually asked to sit in the cart, which in turn led Aaron to wanting to sit in the cart. 
Today, Livi asked me, while she looked at the "game board", "Mom, when can we go to the store again?"

Off topic but I need to record:
On the way to the grocery store I told the kids, "Mommy has a really bad headache so no talking until we get to the store."
Soon Livi and I turn our attention to Aaron who is saying, "Me, we're going to the store okay. That's the plan, me." Livi and I started busting up laughing. I asked, "Aaron, what are you doing?" To which he cleverly replied, "I can't talk to you guys, so I'm talking to myself."
TOO FUNNY!

5 comments:

Grandma Susie said...

Rachel that's a project I would have never thought of; it's the teacher in you coming out! :)

Grandma Susie said...

P. S. Love Aaron's way of working around not talking!

Gretchen said...

That kid is too hilarious!!!

Cathy said...

soooo cute and funny :)

Staigerfamily said...

What a great idea!! I love it and can't wait to try it with my kids! Aaron is so funny!!