Sunday, September 20, 2009

Olivia's latest accomplishment



"Cam Jansen and the Birthday Mystery,"

Tonight, as I put Aaron to bed and read him his story, I heard Livi in the other room reading her library book. We picked it out for her to read 2 weeks ago as well as one for her teacher, Ms. Lee, so they could do a "book club" together every other morning or so. After I wished Aaron sweet dreams I walked in to sit next to Livi as she read. I am thrilled and pleased to say that she finished her first book having read the entire thing by herself. I did not read any of it to her, nor did anyone else. We sat with her and encouraged her as she struggled with the words at times, but only encouraged and did not relieve her from any of it's pages. 58 pages later she is much more fluent and has a significantly increased  visual vocabulary. She still has much to accomplish but I simply am amazed at the talents she has been blessed with.

Today in church I was able to sing along with my daughter, as she read the words to the sacrament hymn. She sang so confidently right along with the congregation to a hymn that she did not know. Some friends in front of us turned around and said, "That was beautiful." and it was. She shied away from the compliment but I was well pleased. I loved singing the sacrament hymns sitting next to my mom. I'm glad to have that in my life again now.

I feel so blessed to have a child with such a beautiful talent for learning.

4 comments:

Grandma Susie said...

Yea Olivia! Grandma is very proud of your accomplishment!

Gretchen said...

Way to go Olivia!! Reading is so much fun when you have a good book! Love you!

Cathy said...

YEAH LIVI!!! 58 pages is quite an accomplishment. I always have a book on my nightstand that I try to read each night...even if it is only a couple of pages. It's amazing how much joy is out there from reading.

Crystal said...

Hey Rachel, I just found your blog and thought I'd stop in and say hi. You have such darling kids. Isn't it so fun to see your kids learn new things? What a smart little gal.

By the way, our blog is jakeandcrystalsmith.blogspot.com (real creative name, eh?).