Thursday, June 4, 2009

Granola

So, here's my yummy granola. I can't take all the credit, I only tweaked the recipe, but who cares. We think it's fabulous!
1/3 c +1 Tbs vegetable or canola oit
2 Tbs water
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 c maple syrup (you can do half molasses, so 1/4 c each, but I didn't like it with the molasses     as much. It didn't turn out as sweet. It also gave it a darker color.)
-mix these ingredients in a small pan and bring to boil over low heat stirring occasionally.

-In a mixing bowl combine:
4 c old-fashioned oats
1 c wheat germ
4 Tbsp light brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 c coconut
2/3 c sunflower seeds (I use a little less, they're not my favorite)
2/3 c almonds (chopped or whole or sliced, depending on the texture you like.)

Heat oven to 275 with both racks in middle position.
Once you've mixed the dry ingredients pour the wet in and mix thoroughly.
Spread onto two greased cookie sheets, forming small clumps, by squeezing it between your fingertips, as you go.

Bake for 30 minutes.
Add 2/3 c craisins (or raisins), stir, then bake for an additional 15 min, or 'til golden brown.

Let cool and store in airtight container for up the 2 weeks! (Granola will harden as it cools.)
(If you want nutritional value, I have it, but let's be honest. It's a lot better than the junk snacks you buy in a bag or box at the store. So enjoy the fat and calories. God put fat in natural things and that's all this is!!!)

Bon Apetit!

3 comments:

Lovell Family said...

sounds delicious! I may have to try it, since i just bought some wheat germ for a pancake recipe...which my family (everyone but me) didn't like. I need some more wheat germ recipes.

Juli said...

Rachel!! I just found your blog from Jamie's blog! How are you? I see your family has had many trials since we've seen you, and I can't tell you the admiration I have for you. I burst into tears when I saw the pictures of sweet little Olivia. I had no idea this had all happened. I can't imagine what you've gone through, but I'm glad it seems to have gotten a bit better. I'll try to keep in touch! -Juli Van Ginkel

Steph said...

I'm going to try it tomorrow. It sounds yummy!