Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Back to base camp

I had wanted to get this picture up the other day. This was Livi's first day out of bed, Saturday. Thanks Gee!


So, where to begin. As several loved ones pointed out, I haven't blogged in a while. Sorry to all my peeps! I love you all too. The last few days I have been sequestered at the hospital. Bill started back to work on Monday so mommy has hospital duty. My dad, Angie and her friend have spent the last couple of days entertaining Aaron, which is going to turn into a bit of a dissapointment being that when Livi comes home it's back to boring days with mom and sis. I fear I'm not going to be able to compete with the vast array of entertainment he's received these last couple of weeks. My aunt Voni has spent the last couple of days at the hospital with me and Livi. Bill stops by on his lunch break and then eats dinner with me after he gets off work. Last night Olivia was moved over to HEMOC (Hemotology/Oncology). That's where Olivia's baseline is. Whenever she gets sick that's where she goes, so all the nurses welcomed her "Home". It was nice to be there, so I thought. It meant that Livi was better/healthier. I rode in the bed with Olivia to her new room. When we got there she opened her eyes, looked around and started crying. It broke my heart. She knows from the last time that she'll be there a while. Last night and today were hard on those of us who were there, emotionally. She was hungry and pleading weakly for food. She even asked for chicken strips and said, "They don't have bad fat on them, they're healthy." She asked any nurse or doctor who came in and asked if they could get her anything if they would bring her a chocolate milkshake. We have a lot of people willing to bring her milkshakes as soon as she can start eating again. The GI surgeon said that could be within the next couple of days. Her NG tube, the tube going down her nose into her stomach has been draining a lot today and he said that could be a sign of her stomach starting to work again. Another thing that has been difficult is her blood sugar levels. They are high then normal then high again. When they are high they have to put her on insulin. In order to know if they're high they have to draw blood but they can't be sure the blood out of her lines is free from any meds that may change the outcome; so on top of everything else she now seems to have become a diabetic. Not really, and the doctors say once the pancreas settles down this won't be an issue. But until then she gets finger pricks. Today she had 3! Two of which were within an hour of eachother. She is such a trooper. She says "OW!" and then falls back asleep.


Today we opened a package from a friend that had "Matilda" the book in it. I wanted to do something for her so I started reading it to her. She didn't even try opening her eyes but she sure was listening. If nothing else to the cadence of my voice. Whenever I stopped she would shake her head no and I would keep reading. After 40 pages she finally decided it was time for us to rest. I laid with her on the bed for a really long time and every time I tried to get out she started crying. I gave up on showering. It wasn't worth it.


I love my princess and know that she is very sad and depressed. It breaks my heart to know that she knows there are other kids that are playing and having fun and going on vacations. But I know this too shall pass and her life will be sweet. All in good time.

12 comments:

Garrett & Kristi said...

My sweet princess Olivia...I know things are not how you would like them to be right now. Remember that you are getting better every single day and also that there are hundreds and hundreds of people who love you very much. When it gets really tough, close your eyes and imagine all of those people giving you great big hugs. I bet you can even feel those hugs around you, my love. We hope to see you soon!

Aunt Kristi, Uncle Garrett and your cousins

Grandma Susie said...

Livi,

Grandma is at work looking at the calendar you gave me for Christmas. You are at the park with Aaron and Joshua, coming down a big blue slide with a big smile on your face. I'm so happy you are out of PICU and before you know it you will be back at the park having fun! Stay strong!
Love, grandma

Nikki Ellison said...

Bill and Rachel, You guys are GREAT parents. A child could not ask for more. Everything that you guys have gone through and are going through is so unbelievable. Your strength and love for your family is truly something to watch and be apart of. We love you guys so much and hope to see you soon. Please let us know what Livi likes to read, watch, and favorite characters. I would love to send her a care package.

Love always,
Aunt Nikki

Meg and Jeremy said...

We love little Livi! Hailey sure has missed her these last few weeks and has been making pictures for her almost daily. As soon as we're all feeling better and Olivia is up for it, we would love to come visit again. Until then, know that our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Don & Jan Preston said...

Hi Livi,
We are all thinking of you and can't wait to see you all better. We're proud of you. You are doing a wonderful job at getting well. Keep listening to your Mom and Dad and the doctors and everything will work out for the best.
We love you.
Don & Jan

Lovell Family said...

Rachel,
it's so good to hear that olivia is hanging in there. I can remember being in the hospital for three weeks after my surgery and not being able to eat. It was horrible....I hated to see commercials with food on them! We are continually praying for olivia and your family. Please do let us know of things we could send in a care package for Aaron and Olivia.

Sarah Kocsis said...

Dear Livi, Rachel & family...Our thoughts and prayers have been with you. Little Gabrielle has been wearing the matching beaded bracelet that my Mom (Lorraine) and your Grandma Christine bought the two of you. Gabrielle said, "I want to wear it every day to think about Livi and send her love so she can feel better." It brought tears to my eyes to know how much she cares about you. Know that we all love you. Stay strong...the Lord is watching over you.
Love,
Sarah Kocsis & family

Ence Family said...

We are so glad to hear the latest good news! You are all so strong! We look foreward to each day to read more about your progress. You are always in our thoughts and prayers. Hang in there, you're doing wonderful!
Take care,
Marc, Barbara, Tyler & Caleb

Julie said...

Olivia,
We are so happy that you are out of PICU. We are praying that you will soon get to eat whatever you want then you will get stronger so you can walk.
Bill and Rachel hope that you guys are hanging in there.

Susan said...

I loved the pictures you posted. How sweet it is to see a mother's love for her child. Getting a shower, doing you hair, and all of those other things are so unimportant. Just being there for her and with her is the most important thing you can do. And you're doing it! You are amazing...just hang in there! Olivia...I have a little girl who wants to send you a special book-so be looking for it in the mailin the next week. Hope you enjoy it!

Building Fly Rods said...

Hi Livi, We are all so proud of you! We are so happy that you are smiling and laughing again. You are such a great example to all of us!We love reading all the news about you everyday, thank-you! Rachel for being so thoughtful of us all, during such a time as this.Happy Birthday too! We love and Miss you. Chloe was so glad that Livi and Aaron were able to be here for her birthday, that was a special visit for us,one that we think of often. We love you all,your in our thoughts and prayers always Love,Aunt Tami

Building Fly Rods said...
This comment has been removed by the author.