Thursday, June 19, 2008

Better Days

WOW! I can't believe the change of events from a mere 12 days ago. From life support, and multi organ failure to sitting up, standing, walking and at times out right laughter. Yesterday was the first time I had seen her smile (without medical help, aka. morphine) in a long time. She had every now and again smiled a cute peaceful smile when something made her happy, like sitting on a neighbor's couch, but yesterday was HUGE! We were sitting on her bed with her watching Mickey Mouse Club House and me giving her a foot massage, complete with lotion. She suddenly got a euphoric grin on her face and said, referring to the movie, "He just said 'crap'!" I laughed and admitted that it did sound like that but in fact the character had said "drat". She giggled again and said, "It sounded like he said the C word." A few minutes later she smiled huge again when another character said "underpants". It was hilarious. My Aunt Yvonne, who was visiting with us, and I just laughed.

Last night was the last night Angie and her friend were going to be in town so they offered to stay the night with Livi so Bill and I could go out for my birthday dinner with some friends. (My birthday isn't til Friday.) When I left the hospital to get ready for the evening, Yvonne stayed with Livi until Angie and Jacob arrived. Voni said that it was the best she's seen Livi. She said, "It was Livi!" She said they had been talking and Voni noticed the pulse ox. bandaid on Livi's toe and realized it glowed like E.T.'s finger. Voni said, "Hey Livi, look, your toe is glowing! You have a glow toe!" Livi laughed! She actually laughed out loud for a measurable amount of time!!! I wish I could've heard such sweet angelic sounds. Bill and I do not remember the last time we've heard Olivia laugh.

Bill and I had a great time with a few friends out for dinner. It was great conversation, good food, and all in all a fantastic evening being a couple again. We even got to enjoy the pool at 10:00 at night. That will be a blessing of living in Vegas in the summer. I told Livi that when she gets home we'll get to go swimming at night when it's dark. When it gets down to a chilly 95 degrees by 11pm you can spoil yourself like that.

Angie said that the night went off without incident and this morning we started on a strict schedule for exercise. Olivia is a very determined little girl. This morning I was helping her to the bathroom and halfway there she really was struggling and starting to cry. I offered to carry her the rest of the way and she said, "No mommy, I have to do this!" She did, and she walked all the way back too. (None of this without alot of support. She is very weak and can only focus on one foot in front of the other, not so much weight baring.) So I know she has it in her. The trouble comes when O.T. (Occupational Therapy) and P.T. (Physical Therapy) come to work with her. She is strong willed. It's probably how she was able to fight so hard the last couple of weeks. But this fight turns into defiance when it comes to these people and their assistance. She doesn't really show the best...compliance, but she's getting better. This is a picture of her doing O.T. yesterday. O.T. deals more with small motor skills where as P.T. is large muscle groups.

It's really been great to be a part of a great network of people who care. Around the noon hour 2 women came in to do a special music time with just Olivia. The guitarist/singer was magnificent and brought tears to my eyes, along with the woman who came with her. She made words up as she went specific to Olivia. Livi had just previously ridden in a pillow stuffed wagon around the floor. So as the songs played out she lay there eyes closed, hands held close. The lyrics to one of the songs were as follows:


"Don't tell me what to do,
Please don't tell me what to do.
I'm just fine with my eyes closed.
I'm just fine with my hands to myself.
Thank you for all of your help."

It was just perfect. What a special talent she has to beable to put my daughter's unsaid fears and emotions into song. She went on to sing another song where she talked about closing her eyes so she could be brave and safe on the mountain top with the trees. "Beautiful and brave." (We have a poster hanging that a girl in the ward drew of mountains with trees that says, "Olivia the Brave."

After a full morning she rested on my lap to get reaccessed. (They had disconnected her port for about 1 1/2 hrs.) She didn't even flinch although she squeezed my hand pretty tight. With all this excitement, probably the best thing of all was that she tooted, twice! All you ladies that have had c-sections will know that that means we're that much closer to EATING!!! It also appears that the NG tube isn't getting anything out of her stomach, which is another very good thing. They just did an x-ray to check the tube and also to get a visual of her bowels, but things are definetly looking up.




After a restful nap she played cribbage with me and Papa for 5-10 minutes and then rested/watched a movie. She's doing great! And her attitude is improving. When Papa told her Angie had to go home but didn't want to, she started to cry and said through tears, "I didn't want her to either." She'll be back.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Livi!!! Your smile sure is a beautiful sight!! I am amazed at how strong and brave you are! Josie saw the new pictures and said "I'm so happy mom - it looks like she is feeling better!". Keep those 'toots' coming, silly girl, so that you can have something yummy to eat real soon!!

Lots of love, hugs and kisses,
Tamara & Josie

Steph said...

It's so good to see some real Livi smiles. We've been missing those. We had a great time at dinner last night--glad you guys got a break and got to feel like real people for a few hours. I'll tell Todd and Ben about the tooting--they will be so happy that you shared that on your blog. Boys love bodily functions.

Franko said...

Dear Rachel,

The news is so terrific, and I'm thrilled for you guys. Happy Birthday tomorrow (if I don't remember to send a comment!). Livi is working so hard - what dtermination. She's so much like her mommy! Remember Natalie and you rushing through your workbooks in Mrs. Howell's class - determination to finish!! It's so nice to be getting this great news. We are still thinking about you and Olivia all the time. Give my love to Don and the rest of the family. You are all in our thoughts and prayers.!
Love,

Pat Cabezud

Staigerfamily said...

What wonderful improvement! Thank you so much for the update!

williams family said...

Livi, I love your smiles! I'm so glad you are starting to feel more and more like yourself! Keep getting better! Rachel, I'm so glad you got to go out for your birthday and get away - if only for a few hours. We love you!

Starting Out... said...

My Missarooni,
Thank you so much for our night together last night. I love you miss,and promise I will be back soon to play again.

Lovell Family said...

LOVE the pictures! We are so happy for Livi! Your posts always bring tears of joy to my eyes! What a great way to keep track of this experience. Happy Birthday! So glad you could enjoy some time to yourself! We are so happy for livi and thinking of her all the time!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful smile!! That picture made me cry. We are so glad to see Olivia's smile again. You guys are the inspiration! It is really amazing how she is improving day by day! We are always thinking of you.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh what a miracle! Just the difference in the pictures from a couple of days ago to now!! I am so happy and feel that a miracle really has happened with Livi! We're still praying for you and think about your family often! We love you!

Grandma Susie said...

Hello Family,

Happy Birthday Rachel! What a great birthday present; you'll never forget this one! So happy to hear the good news and see the smiles! Love you much,

Mom

Franko said...

Dear Rachel,

OK this one's just for you. HAPPY BIRTHDAY. I can remember your birthdays from very long ago when you guys were all "small?" (Was Natalie ever small???). Anyway, hope the progress is still coming fast. Olivia, you are a little doll and princess in all our eyes. Keep up the good work, and keep those physical therapists on their toes!

Love,

Pat Cabezud

Nikki Ellison said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU. (I just sang for you). It is amazing to see Olivia's progress. She is doing so good and looks so good. Toots are great news! Hope to talk to you soon. We love you guys!

Love always,
Nikki

Kendra said...

Olivia we are so proud of the progress you have made. Keep up the great work. You are in our thoughts and prayers daily.
Lots of love,
Gino,Kendra and Jace Williams

caracathryn said...

Yea, way to go Livi!!! What a great smile:) I'm so happy to hear Livi's doing better each day. Sending my love.

Cara

Julie said...

Olivia you are starting to look like the little happy girl we remember. Hope that you are up walking by yourself soon.
Rachel Happy Belated Birthday. You are how old???
We love you guys!!
Hope to talk to you soon,
Dan and Julie

Cheri & Kevin B. said...

What an awesome birthday present - having Livi being better - Happy Birthday Rachel. It is so good to see her better and with a smile. It's amazing when we talk about "toots" being a good thing. I can just hear Ben & Todd snicker over that one. You guys are awesome - thanks for the update. Luv ya, Cheri B.