Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Some Time Away


With Olivia still under heavy sedation Bill and I decided to take some much needed time to spend with Aaron. My mom's sister Karen, who came down from Utah to watch Aaron for us, and my dad are watching over Livi today so that Bill and I could play with our son. We took him to a water park that our neighbors had taken him to yesterday. He loved it. It was fun to see him enjoying life so much.

Yesterday Livi had times when she was responsive. At one time during the day she opened her eyes to my voice and answered questions by shaking her head yes or no. Whenever she does this the first question we ask is if she's hurting. She fervently shakes her head no. We ask if she knows we love her and if she wants any songs or stories. She particularly enjoyed looking at a picture of her and Aaron together in a bath from our Sacramento home. I held it up in front of her to see, she reached out her hand, grabbed the picture and pulled it closer. The nurses have put a type of gel on her eyes so that they don't dry out, but when she opens her eyes it only frustrates her ability to focus. (Not like the drugs aren't making it hard enough already.) She'll squeeze your finger if you rest it in her palm and my dad says today she seems even more easily aroused. The sweetest thing was yesterday when she was answering questions and squeezing Bill's hand I nuzzled her nose. We've always given Eskimo kisses to each other and when I gave her one she returned the sentiment. I was thrilled at the amount of muscle/control it took for her to shake her little head back and forth so quickly. Later in the evening when I was saying goodbye I laid my hand on her left shoulder and kissed her forehead. She shrugged her shoulder up, tilted her head and squeezed my hand. Oh, the sweetness of an angel!

Bill stayed the night with Olivia last night. Bill's report this morning was that she remained stable and she is now on less of her heart medication. The doctors/nurses aren't looking so much for improvement right now as much as stability. So, since we're looking at 2 days under our belt of stable I guess we're doing well.

Some of you have been asking if anyone knows what we're looking at as far as time frame. I do not mean to shock anyone but I also am a firm believer in God's Plan. I believe that the sooner we let ourselves accept the His will, no matter what it may be, the sooner the Holy Spirit can offer us the comfort it is meant to give. Last night I asked her day nurse Lisa, who worked an extra shift yesterday just to keep Livi (it was her 6th 12hr day in a row), what her experience with this has been. She's very straight forward which I like. She said that she doesn't see many oncology kids in PICU because the really sick ones go home on hospice. She also said that she's had regular kids with pancreatitis that have been in for a month but they haven't been on ventilators. She ended by saying, she's "never seen a case this bad". This confirmed to me a couple of things I had already been preparing myself for. 1) Livi is TRULY very sick! The worst of the worst. 2) We are probably looking at being in the hospital for a couple of months. About Lisa saying the second thing, the doctors have not lead me away from thinking that, just none of them have said it so directly. I do feel that our doctors are being very open with us, which to me is refreshing not having had quite the same experience with my mom.

Now something that I thought was pretty cool and what I wanted to end with on this post. I've been asking the nurses how they feel about the different doctors that are working with us. Livi's night nurse, Angie, gave me great insight into our Oncologist, Dr. Bernstein. She said that she hasn't worked with him very often but knows that his families are precious to him. She also said that when the PICU doctors are stumped about a patient (not a cancer patient) and they don't know what they should do, alot of the times they bring in Dr. Bernstein for opinions and help. All the staff that we've met agree that he is a very smart man. He isn't shy about needing to find more information out and talking to his mentors, which happen to be the head guys for Leukemia treatment around the world. Rest assured we feel confident in the care that Olivia is receiving.

I will get another post on tonight, whether by myself or Liz about how today wrapped up. By the way, Great job on last night's post Liz!!!

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE COMMENTS THE LOVE AND THE FOOD! Everything's been GREAT!

7 comments:

Steph said...

It looks like you guys had a great time with Aaron. I'm glad you got some time outside. Thank you for your faith and strength. You are a blessing in my life. Remember I'm always available for anything, even if tomorrow happens to be Wednesday.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that you were able to step away with Aaron for a bit -- that time was probably so needed by all of you!

It really sounds like you guys are in the right place as far as Livi's care goes - that is very reassuring and I'm sure sure is helping you to find that sense of peace with His plan.

I was giving the kids an update and Josie asked to see a picture (she loves the video you posted, by the way). She knows that Livi is very, very sick and I showed her the most recent picture of her in the hospital bed. Josie took one look at the picture and looked at me and said "I wish I could be there with her, mom". The compassion in her eyes was so overwhelming .....she loves her friend!

So Livi - when you feeling a little bit stronger and are ready for Josie to visit - even if you are still in the hospital - you just call us and we will come as fast as we can!

Love to all,
Tamara and Josie

Ryan and Liz Meinzer said...

rachel-hey it's liz meinzer from the hurley ward. i have been reading your blogs for quite some time and want you to know that you and your family are in my prayers. it sounds like you are in great hands with dr. B. and with the lord. heavenly father blesses his children and watches them extra carefully. stay strong. lots of love.

Julie said...

So glad that you guys got away with Aaron. What a blessing to have your Dad and aunt there. Sounds like you are in great hands with your dr. We pull up the blog at least twice a day just to see if there are updates. We have everyone we know praying for your family. Hope that you feel the strength from these prayers. We love you guys! Talk to you soon.

Love,
Dan and Julie

Mike and Amy Preston said...

We are so sorry to hear about Livi. We admire your strength. Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated.

Sending our love,
Mike and Amy Preston

Bryan Crew said...

It sounds like Aaron has a lot of family watching over him right now but keep me in mind for when you might need more help. Also, we'd love to have him and your aunt along on any of our summer outings.

Thinking of you and your little one...you're strength is contageous! It makes me want to be a better person.

Alison

Franko said...

Dear Guys,

We are keeping up to date with your blog. You certainly needed a little time away, although I'm sure part of you was at the hospital with Olivia. Glad Don is down there with you guys along with other family. You are constantly in all our thoughts, and we are sending good vibes Livi's way. She will come through this - I truly believe that. Take care of yourself (make sure to eat!) and we'll keep sending short posts to you guys along with our loving thoughts. Talk to you soon.

Love,

Pat Cabezud