Saturday, June 14, 2008

Keep on Fighting

That was then... (the pic of the room is even minus some equipment)














...this is now!

Amazing, incredible,phenomenal! These are just a few of the words that doctors and nurses have used to describe Olivia's progress. We know it as blessings from our Heavenly Father. As Bill wrote earlier, Livi had a good day yesterday and a better day today. I feel like because we were in crisis mode and then critical for 6 days that now everything seems so euphoric. It's so great to read everyone's comments and feel all of your love pouring out to Livi and us. Thank you again and again and again. Today Olivia was sweetly surprised be her Aunt Gee (my sister Angie) getting in to town. She instantly grabbed on to her hand and didn't want to let go. Bill and I stepped out to meet some friends to start our fast and while we were gone Livi told Gee she wanted to sit on her lap. It was the first time in a week that she'd been out of bed. She sat on her lap for quite a while loving the arms that were wrapped around her I'm sure. When Livi was laid back in bed they noticed a grapefruit sized fluid pocket on the left side of her back behind where her port is. For the last couple of days fluid has been seeping out from around the port site. When this lump was found the thought was that the port may have somehow disconnected and the meds being pushed in through the port were being displaced in her back. They shot contrast into the port and took her down to radiology to do a fluoroscope (basically a light that would shine through her skin and illuminate the path the contrast had taken). Everything looked good. They took her back to her room, got her back in bed and...the grapefruit was gone! No one knows what it was. I say that was when a large group of us were starting our fast, about 6:30 pm.

Bill went to stay at the hospital for the night and I got to come home and spend some time with Aaron and my Aunt Yvonne who replaced my Aunt Karen for the next week.

Olivia is only on a couple pain meds, a now and then insulin drip and 1 or 2 other meds. She has both hands completely free so she can start signing again! (The catheter in her right hand came out on its own last night. I was holding her hand and noticed something wet. I told her nurse, Mike and he discovered the Houdini slip!) We are still in PICU but after having such great nurses there I don't know if I'm necessarily ready to leave. Soon though I'm sure.

Thank you for everyone giving there love so freely to our daughter and to us. We could not be doing this without everyone's support. When people ask how I'm staying so strong, I don't hesitate to say, "by what you are all doing."
Day nurses: Bryony on left(Wed. & Thur.). Lisa all the other days!
Night nurses: Sheri and Mike. (Angie, the other night nurse has escaped a photo thus far, but not our hearts.)

14 comments:

Nikki Ellison said...

It is truely amazing seeing her progress. I can't believe how fast she turned around from when we were there. She truly is a special little girl. Please let her know how much we love her and think about you guys. Thank you for posting some more pictures it is great to see how far she has come. Livi, you are so brave and such an amazing little girl. We can't wait to see you again. Lots of love and kisses.

Love you guys,
Aunt Nikki

Don & Jan Preston said...

What a wonderful Father's day present for Bill...Livi looks so much better. Jan & I are so happy that Livi is doing better. Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you all. We are checking this blog several times a day and are rooting for Livi all the time.
Love,
Don (& Jan)

Lovell Family said...

Wow...we are so glad to see livi looking so great...what a great opportunity to strengthen our faith as we fasted for your little angel Livi! This morning sitting in church today I was getting frustrated as my kids being disruptive and steve leaned over and said, "Are you thinking of Olivia?" Thanks so much for sharing her experiences with all of us!

We love you guys and wish we could be with you and your family!

Staigerfamily said...

How sweet that she was able to spend those special moments with her aunt Angie. I love that she was so excited to have her there. We are thinking about you all the time.

Morris Family said...

What an awesome family of strength. Rachel your postings have been difficult yet wonderful to read. I am so moved and touched by your unwavering faith. I think passing that strength to others is a part of God's plan here. You are all truly a spiritual inspiration. I am so thrilled that Livi is doing so well. We continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Love-Morris family (Lisa, Bills cousin)

Cynthia Lovell said...

I'm Steve & Lisa's mother Cynthia (Steve's mom) and I have been following little Livi's progress daily (multiple dailys). I have also been praying and fasting for you! I admire your attitude and faith!!! I remember you coming to our house and also seeing you in Provo at Steve & Lisa's. We wish you the BEST!!!! Our prayers are with you!!!

Cynthia Lovell said...

I'm Steve & Lisa's mother Cynthia (Steve's mom) and I have been following little Livi's progress daily (multiple dailys). I have also been praying and fasting for you! I admire your attitude and faith!!! I remember you coming to our house and also seeing you in Provo at Steve & Lisa's. We wish you the BEST!!!! Our prayers are with you!!!

Julie said...

Unbelivable pictures!!! This has truly been a miracle. Praying that this week things continues to be a week of good news and improvement for Olivia.

Love,
Dan and Julie

Grandma Susie said...

Great, great news! Yes, what a wonderful Father's Day present for Bill and what a wonderful birthday gift for grandma Susie :) I love the new pictures, so good to see Livi looking so much better! I can't wait until June 28th to be with you again. Hugs and kisses!

Love you all,
Grandma Susie

Unknown said...

Amazing!! I can't believe how many machines she was on!! Poor thing! I am so happy to see the progress! We are all still praying for your family! Thanks for the updates!

caracathryn said...

I am in awe of Livi's strength and how far she has come. I loved hearing about Livi's reaction to her aunt surprising her! What a sweet gift for Livi; and a sweet father's day for all of you to know that Livi is doing better each day. You are all in my thoughts daily. with love,

cara

DeAnn and Bob said...

sending you more love and prayers!!!
love, DeAnn & Bob

NancyD said...

What elation and relief you must all be enjoying! The new picture of her sleeping so sweeting brought the tears a flowing once again... this time with heartfelt joy. No doubt we will all be saying our gratitude prayers each and every night over this sweet little girl!
With the utmost respect and heartfelt compassion,
Nancy & Mark Pierce

Cheri & Kevin B. said...

Amazing - so glad she is off all those machines and she looks so peaceful. We are so grateful for your example, testimony and for the progress Livi has made. She has touched so many hearts and lives. Love, Cheri B.